Garage storage solutions usually come packaged in some pretty plain colors. I mean, everyone gets it that shelves are a good idea; but that's so drab. Everyone also gets it that cabinets are good - can someone please pass me the Nodoz. I am not suggesting that shelves and cabinets don't have a place in solving your storage problems. I am just saying that we can all go beyond these basics. Let's take a look at some creative ways to store things in your garage that go beyond shelves and cabinets.
One of the coolest creative garage storage solutions I have seen utilizes the space overhead. If you think about it, we all tend to use floor space without a second thought. We even lift things up just a bit when we start setting things on a bench or on a shelf. Those things help, but it's time to think just a bit higher. There is space above to spare. How about overhead storage racks that attach right to the rafters of your garage? Have you seen these things? You simply screw some tracks into the wooden rafters above and slide on some plastic bins. Viola! There you have it, an overhead storage solution for your garage. This allows you to put all those things up out of the way that are hardly ever accessed. Things like holiday decorations, lights and such.
One of the on going problems with not implementing the right garage storage solutions is that when things get cluttered along the outside edge of the garage, there is absolutely no place to store things that really need storing. It is obvious that you should get rid of the things that you never use or access. Be gone with such rabble. Once this is done you are in a position to truly appreciate and utilize the next several creative garage storage solutions, i.e., bins and racks.
Turns out there are actually bins designed for storing sports balls, roller blades, rackets, baseball gloves, and many other things that typically get tossed on the floor or lost in a pile somewhere. Most of these are attractive powder coated metal bins that are easily adjustable for where you want to install them on the wall. Some even have integral hanging racks with different attachment point options. This is a nice feature because while one height might be good for the adults in the family, it will be completely unworkable for the shorter folks. Anytime you can get adjustable garage storage solutions, that is a good thing. The kids will thank you. And, if you think about it, it'll actually save you time and effort as well because you won't always have to be running out to the garage to hand things down to the kids when they need them.
As for racks, these are real things of beauty. Garage storage solutions have to take care of the things in life that don't stack or store away in bins easily. These are things like bikes and fishing rods and reels. Have you noticed how frustrating it is to try to lean a fishing pole against the wall? They always tip over against the ones next to it and turn into a mangled mess. Racks designed for storing fishing gear are a real life saver. Bike racks are made that allow storage against the wall, or lifted up into the space above. Whatever you do, be creative with garage storage solutions and you will be forever glad you did.
As many homeowners have realized, there are a lot of things that need to be stored outside your home. For instance, a typical home requires a lawnmower to maintain the lawn, an edge trimmer to keep things looking neat, lawn chairs and garden furniture for seating, a grill for outdoor meals, and many other items that are bulky but necessary.
Storing these items becomes a bit of a challenge for those homeowners who don't have garages. Even for those with garages, the garage space fills up quickly, leaving the cars parked in the driveway or on the road. The solution to this problem is a storage shed.
Storage Shed Options
There are choices when it comes to putting up a storage shed. Before investing in a storage shed, it's a good idea to make sure it will meet your current and future needs. Take a look at the options available for purchase before deciding on the shed for you.
- Site-Built Storage Sheds
A site-built storage shed is a shed that you build yourself on your property. The advantage to this type of shed is that you can completely customize it for your needs. However, this type of shed has many distinct disadvantages.
The disadvantages of building your own storage shed include the time, money, and work involved in creating this type of structure. Building a shed is not a weekend project and shouldn't be undertaken by the first-time do-it-yourselfer. It's often more expensive to purchase the materials and build your own shed than it is to purchase a pre-built unit.
- Pre-Built Storage Sheds
A pre-built storage shed is put together at a factory and arrives completely constructed at your doorstep. You don't need to be a carpentry expert to have one of these sheds, and you don't have to spend as much money on one of them as you would on building your own shed.
Because they are pre-built, these sheds are not fully customizable. However, there are a multitude of options available that are likely to meet the needs of any homeowner. In addition to being less expensive and less work, pre-built sheds also provide you with storage much more quickly.
Before You Buy a Storage Shed
There are several things you should consider before you invest in a storage shed. In order to end up with the right storage shed for you, you should make sure you have a clear idea of your storage needs.
To get a good idea of what size and type of storage shed you need, make a list of everything you think you may store in the building. Some common items include the following:
- Lawn chairs and other garden furniture are a popular storage item. If left outside year-round, your lawn furniture will have a much shorter lifespan. In addition, exposure to the elements will make your furniture less attractive and will contribute to peeling paint, fading, and mildew growth.
- Tools and yard equipment need a home too. Lawnmowers and other yard equipment are useful but also come with an expensive price tag. It's important to protect your investment from damage by the elements and possible theft. A storage shed is the perfect solution.
- Grills last longer when kept sheltered as well. If you want your grill to last many years, it's important to protect it from rain, snow, and harsh winds. A storage shed provides a safe, dry home for your grill, as well as a handy place for charcoal, grilling tools, and other necessary items.
Knowing what you plan to store in your new shed will help you choose the pre-built shed that is perfect for your needs!
Cary Bradshaw from "Sex and the City" had the perennial struggle to let go of her old clothes. Closets full of clothes that she may have worn just once in her life. Her predicament had made us laugh while we enjoyed "Sex and the City" on television, but there is no denying the fact that often we've glanced at our respective closets and wondered Ah there are so many clothes, but which one do I wear now.
Welcome to the world of systematic chaos, the closets of most women. How to undo the chaos while there is no stopping us from picking up the summer dress that we liked in Sears the other day or the pair of jeans with motifs?
Well, how much ever painful it may seem we will need to clear up our closets from time to time. And yes, we will have to be ruthless. Unbeknown to men, most women have an emotional attachment to their clothes. Men always fail to appreciate that! So, yes clearing up the closet would mean that we need to keep our emotions aside.
1. First, remove all that do not fit. Keep them in a separate pile.
2. Next, remove those that are not in fashion any more. Believe me they never come back to fashion in exactly the same way. There is always some tweaking that makes it new age.
3. Then browse through the ones that you have left. Do you wear all of those? If not, then why? Do you think you will go back to wearing those? Keep those in a separate pile.
4. Now try matching those clothes that you have kept in a pile before, with the ones that you wear. Can you pick up some top or trouser or skirt that may match with the ones that you wear now? Then pick those ones up.
5. Once you have your discarded pile, you know that you need to dispose those off. You may want to donate those to some charity or sell those off in yard sales or in eBay. You may also consider cutting out some pattern that you may especially like in your discarded clothes pile and use that as a patch work on your jeans, quilt or even your table cloth.
6. Next let's arrange the pile that you are going to keep. First and foremost press them all.
7. Then categorize the clothes as per office wear, party wear and casual wear. Then further divide those as per seasons winter, summer or spring.
8. Now keep the ones that are not right for the current season separately and hang those that you will be using for this season.
9. Match your accessories with your clothes and keep those arranged neatly along with your dresses.
10. Finally is there anything missing in your closet? There are few must-haves. Take a stock and see if you have that little black dress, every woman should have. A pair of black leather boots to go with everything and nice flats for the summer. A good leather jacket and skirt suit to make that presentation look even better. You must also have one summer dress, with its crochet handbag and big ear rings.